Top Causes and Solutions for Stretch Marks
March 1, 2017
If you're a mom or are expecting a little one soon, you undoubtedly know that stretch marks are an inevitable effect of pregnancy. Statistics show that upward of 90% of women will get them sometime after their sixth or seventh month of pregnancy, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. But carrying a child isn't the only cause of the unsightly, discolored marks that can mar the look of your belly, breasts, thighs, buttons and upper arms.
Other potential causes of stretch marks include:
- A rapid or dramatic gain or loss of weight
- Growth spurts in teenagers
- Use of corticosteroid creams, lotions and pills that can decrease the skin's ability to stretch
- Cushing's syndrome, Marfan syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and other adrenal gland disorders that increase the amount of cortisone in your body
At highest risk for developing stretch marks are Caucasian women with a family history of stretch marks or a history of delivering large babies or twins. But there's good news for everyone troubled by stretch marks. With the right treatments, you may be able to diminish their look or eliminate them altogether. Jacksonville's Elements of Therapy offer these top three solutions:
- Microdermabrasion: This treatment, popular for anti-aging, involves gentle exfoliation and removal of dead and damaged skin cells using rough grains of sand expertly applied to the skin with a wand-like tool. If your stretch marks are minimal, microdermabrasion can help reduce their appearance.
- Micro-needling: Most women see significant improvement in the appearance of stretch marks after a session of micro-needling. This form of therapy involves numbing the skin with a topical cream and running over the treatment area with a sterile roller outfitted with hundreds of fine needles to create microscopic channels deep into your skin's layers. This stimulates your body's natural production of new collagen and allows for deeper penetration of creams with Vitamin A and C to better rejuvenate your skin.
- Strawberry laser: The Strawberry laser was developed to eliminate fat cells and give you a slimmer figure. But this popular weight loss and body contouring treatment also can help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks by up to 80 percent.
Ready to rid your body of unsightly stretch marks? Call Elements of Therapy's Intracoastal/Beaches location at 904-337-4159 or our Mandarin location at 904-619-1587 to schedule a consultation.